Home Summer 2006 Links Unique businesses Large Rock Contact Me


Large Rock



You are visiting Barbara Feick Gregory's Sandusky, Ohio & Vicinity  Web Pages

This is the story of the so-called 'boulder or large rock' which is at present mounted on a concrete base in Washington park at the north side of the old Sandusky High School building. (Adams Junior High) written by Norbert A. Lange 

                In the fall of the year 1910 the Hinde & Dauch Paper Co. began construction of a paper mill on Mills Street, just north of West Madison Street. I had graduated from Sandusky High School the spring of that year, had worked at Cedar Point in the summer and after Cedar Point had closed for the season was looking for another job. Jobs were scarce but I was fortunate in landing a job with Hinde & Dauch as a timekeeper and general errand boy on the construction location & I was paid $35.00 a month. Common labor was paid 17 ˝ cents an hour for a 59-hour week. George Feick & Sons was the builder and the excavation for the building was done with hand shovels.

In the first months of the year 1911 excavation for the boiler room was started and it was then that the workmen began uncovering what appeared to be a large boulder. However, recognizing the boulder to be what it was, namely, a large 'concretion', I persuaded them to delay demolishing the specimen until I could get Mr. E.L.Moseley to come out to look at it. I called Mr. Moseley by phone at the high school, where he was a science teacher, and that afternoon after school he came out to the site. Not realizing beforehand the large size of the specimen, he brought with him a little hand satchel so as to carry it back to the high school with him.

He was astounded when he saw how large it was and immed­iately began making arrangements to have it removed to a location near the high school building. A spur track of a railroad to bring fuel to the boiler house was already in place, and Mr. Bender, the local railroad agent was persuaded to bring in a wrecking train with a crane to lift the specimen from the pit onto a flat car. The car with the specimen was then taken to the foot of Jackson Street. Here it was met with a so-called stone wagon, a low flat-bottomed dray drawn by horses and furnished by George Feick, Sr. Loaded on the dray it proceeded up Jackson Street. The dray got as far as the commercial
hotel, as it was then called,(between Water Street and Market Street on Jackson) when the 5 pm whistles blew. Five o'clock was quitting time, and, of course, the men quit work, unhitched the team of horses from the dray, which was left standing there for the night.

When morning came, the dray was still there but it was found that during the night the specimen had broken into two pieces. Mr. Moseley then had it hauled to Hinkey's Blacksmith Shop on East Market Street where an iron band was fitted around it to hold the two pieces together.  In the meantime a concrete base had been constructed in Washington Park at the location where it now stands and where it has always been since its removal from the place where it was discovered.


Home ] Summer 2006 ] Links ] Unique businesses ] [ Large Rock ] Contact Me ]
Send email with questions or comments about this web site.
Please visit my other websites at http://barbfeick.com
Last modified: May 26, 2010